Thursday, April 7, 2011

Carbohydrate intake...

Endurance Sports Nutrition - Suzanne Girard Eberle MS, RD 

At first, let's be honest, I felt like I was in health science @ school... Again! Why & when did I buy this book again?
Must have been one of an evening where I didn't sleep good the night before because some little monkey woke us up... 10 times... in the middle of the night... Thanks to nightmare! Since when do we sleep good or enough when we have toddlers anyway? But that will be for another post later on... :) So that book, after not even 3 pages put me to sleep & was collecting dust on the floor since... 2 months ago I believe... :)
Anyway, that book must have been near my computer bag last night, so when I grabbed my stuff this morning I took everything with me. Since when do we have time to look around when we have toddlers to get ready, feed & drop @ the day care in the morning & rush to work? :)
But that was a wonderful lunch, yes today I actually took lunch! I went out to pick-up something to eat & sat outside with my book. I could even hear the birds signing! Peaceful moment! :)

I read about carbohydrate...
Carbohydrate is critical for an endurance athlete. Athlete who consistently eat a carbohydrate-rich diet have greater muscle glycogen stores to draw on during training & racing efforts. Adequate muscle glycogen stores help delay the onset of fatigue as you pick up the pace or exercise more intensely (10K, Sprint triathlon) or when you exercise longer than 90 to 120 minutes (Marathon, Olympic distance triathlon). For fitness enthusiasts working out consistently for an hour a day or those athletes training purposefully, eating a daily training diet approching three to four grams of carbohydrate per pound of body weight (six to eight grams per kilogram) will speed recovery from daily training bouts so that you can get out the door the next day. You'll also reduce your chance of being sidelined, because athletes who exercise with low muscle glycogen stores tend to incur more injuries.
Breads, cereals, pasta, rice & other grains, fruits & vegetables, dried beans & lentils, and milk & yogurt are the best options for meeting your daily carbodydrate needs.



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment